Total Pageviews

Thursday, January 20, 2011

BLUEBERRY BANANA BREAD & CHIPOTLE CHILI CORNBREAD BAKE

     Well yesterday i got into a baking and cooking frenzy and felt like making some yummy food. My husband is trying to get back onto the Health Wagon, and I fully support him on that ride. Last year, he lost 100lbs due to many gallstone attacks and a few trips to the emergency room. He was trying to watch what he ate, so he would not have to have surgery. Well his gallbladder had another idea in mind. He had to have his gallbladder taken out middle of last year and he was told he would have to really watch what he ate!! Before the surgery, he did really well with the fat intake, watching sugar grams, etc., etc. Every time I go shopping now, I have to give myself some extra time, because I read just about every side panel to make sure I am getting the best ingredients and foods for him. (Plus fresh fruit and veggies are always at arms reach for us too!! Claryssa can grab fruit anytime, and she even like cucumbers!! It is her "new" favorite veggie!!)
      Wes also went to the gym every day, sometimes twice a day!! Well the last few months, we have both been slacking!! Noticed it was due to the holiday season. Well I was watching him one morning getting ready for work and I noticed a couple extra pounds must have creeped back on. With the stress from work, his boss, and some more hours that he has piled onto his plate, he has been too tired to go to the gym. Also eating right took a little bit of a back seat. So we both decided, we don't want him to slip back into the "old ways"!! He admitted he did gain back about 25 lbs, but this last week, he cut back on a bunch of the unhealthy foods, and watched his intake of food that he would eat every day. He told me that he even tried the "starvation diet" but we agreed that was not the right route!! 
He now snacks and eats small portions thru-out the day and eats a healthy dinner at night. So far, he lost 5 lbs. So now we just need to hit the gym. But anyways, I was going to post some yummy recipes but I had to give you a little glimpse of our life. Oh, and organic is not always the best. We love organic food, but looking at the nutrition facts on every box, has opened our eyes. Check them out for yourself too, you can be surprised.  Well, here are my 2 recipes for the day. The blueberry banana bread was sooo moist and delicious, Wes said he was really impressed!! He loved it!! I will also try to add a link from my friend Mara who has a healthier version of this, if you would like to try that out. 

BLUEBERRY BANANA BREAD
1/2 c. butter, softened
1 tsp. vanilla
1 tsp. baking soda
2 lg. ripe bananas, mashed
1/2 c. chopped nuts (optional)
1 c. sugar   (I would even change this up to 3/4 c. sugar & 1/4 c. brown sugar) To me, I felt the bread needed some brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 tsp. salt
1 1/2 c. blueberries, fresh or frozen  (I did 2 cups instead, that is why my bread looks a little darker)
Preheat oven to 325°F degrees.Grease and flour 2 loaf pans. Cream together butter and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add mashed bananas.
Measure flour, reserving 2 tablespoons of flour to coat blueberries.
Stir baking soda and salt into flour, mixing well. Fold into banana mixture. Stir in vanilla.
Sprinkle the 2 tablespoons flour over blueberries, then fold into batter. Stir in chopped nuts.
Transfer batter to loaf pans.
Bake about 50 minutes.
OH, AND I USED MY STONEWARE MINI LOAF PAN!! I LOVE THAT THING!!



HERE IS THE HEALTHIER VERSION:
Banana Blueberry Bread
recipe from Fat Free Vegan
3 large over-ripe bananas
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup (80 ml) vanilla soymilk (or apple sauce)
1/2 cup (120 ml) agave nectar
2 cups (240 g) white whole wheat flour (or regular whole wheat flour)
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup (240 ml) blueberries
Preheat oven to 350F. Spray or wipe a 9×5-inch loaf pan with oil.
Mix the soymilk with 1 tablespoon of the lemon juice and let stand until it curdles. (If using apple sauce, skip this step and add the lemon juice to the bananas.)
In a large bowl, mash the bananas and add the remaining lemon juice, soymilk, and agave nectar. Stir well to combine. In a separate bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the banana mixture, and stir just until the mixture is well-combined. Fold in the blueberries.
Spread the mixture evenly in the prepared pan and bake until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean, about 50-60 minutes. Allow to cool before cutting and serving.

I hope you are all having a great weekend! Whip up this bread if you have some blueberries on hand. You can also substitute frozen blueberries for fresh (if you get to the blueberry fields late!!). Thanks for stopping by!!


3 comments:

  1. I love baking!! So glad you are supportive of your husband, it makes getting healthy and staying that way so much easier. I love the bread you made and such a great pan! If you want to cut back on the sugar in the recipe, wait until your bananas are goooood and ripe. They are more naturally sweet when soft and black and ripe so you can add more banana and less sugar. And I love blueberries in banana bread. I want to make some now!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have definitely inspired me Mara!! I didn't know how to link to your page, so that is why I just copied the whole recipe. Do you know how to do that??

    ReplyDelete